Cà ri bún (Vegetarian Curry Noodles)
Feel like a savory soup dish but with a little kick of spice and still feel refreshing to eat? Well Cà ri bún is definitely a dish for you.
This is a special recipe passed down from our lovely Mummy Tran which she is happy to share with you and your family's generation to come!
- J.V Veg Protein No.7 (S) Strip 350g
- J.V Veg Protein No.4 (L) Round 350g
- Vegetarian Crispy Chicken/Burdock
- Bihoon/Egg/Vermicelli noodles
- 10 Cup Water
- Maesri Red Curry Paste
- 6 Stalks Lemongrass
- 80g Kaffir/Lime Leaves
- 2 Bulb Onions
- 10 Cloves Garlic
- 4-5 Carrots
- UFC Salted Beans
- 1L Kara Coconut cream
- 1 Stalk Green Onion, thinly sliced
- 200g Bean Sprouts
- 3 Carrots, thinly julienned
- Half Lettuce (300g), thinly sliced
- 200g Snake Beans
- 80g Cucumber
- Optional: Shiso, Mint Leaves
- Chilli oil
PREP MASTER STOCK (Clean, Chop and Twist)
Here you will need the Carrots, Lemongrass, Onions and Kaffir/Lime leaves)
- Clean and chop carrots into chunks
- Repeat with one onion, then
- Clean and twist lemongrass stalk to a knot
- Use a big hollow pot and boil water with all the ingredients listed for the Master stock, let it boil for 25-30mins and set aside.
TIP: As we are working with dried soybeans, soak the proteins prior to cooking
- Soak your 4 cups of your preferred proteins in bowl of water and set aside to hydrate.
LET'S GET COOKIN'!
POT - 1
- Use a big hollow pot and boil water with all the ingredients listed for the Master stock, close the lid, set aside and let it boil for 20-30mins.
PAN/WOK - 2
- In a large pan/wok, fry leftover diced onion and garlic with oil, fry until fragrant.
- Add in finely chopped lemongrass (here we used frozen and pre-chopped)
- Add Red Curry Paste into mixture
- Add in the Kaffir/Lime leaves, cook until fragrant.
- Add in proteins, mix until well combined.
- Season with salt, vegetable stock, salted beans, sugar and mix again.
- Then add in 400g coconut cream to mixture for 5-10mins and set aside.
COMBINE IN POT - 1
- Come back to the master stock and scoop out the filling, we left in some leaves and onion slices for extra flavour.
- Then pour in the mixture from Pan/Wok into master stock pot and let it sit for 30-35mins.
- Add leftover coconut cream and let the soup rest for another 10-15mins
- Taste, season with salt, pepper, and sugar to preference.
PREP FILLINGS, TOPPING AND GARNISH
- Rinse beansprouts with cold water, drain and place in bowl.
- Soak noodles in hot kettle water, let rest for 3-4mins cooking it halfway and take out of water.
- Thinly slice lettuce, cucumber, carrots, snake beans and add to bowl.
- Use a bowl, add your noodles
- Add soup and scoop out proteins
- Add toppings to your preferred taste.
- Optional: Add chilli oil
- Mix and enjoy!
TIP: Pouring hot soup to the noodles cooks the noodles thoroughly.